- 1 cup Besan (gram flour)
- 1/2 tspn Red chilli Powder
- 1/2 tspn cumin (jeera) powder
- A pinch of Asafoetida (hing) powder
- 1/4 tspn baking soda
- Salt (to taste)
- Little less than 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 cups oil
- 1 medium sized yellow potato
- Wash and peel the skin and slice the potatoes into thin slices-not wafer thin, a little thicker than that.
- Mix all the dry ingredients with water and break any lumps with a spoon.
- Heat the oil and drop a little batter to see if it gets fried properly, then dip the potato slices into the batter and drop them slowly into the hot oil. Be cautious when you are handling hot oil. Keep the temperature between medium and high.
- After it turns golden brown remove the fritters with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper napkin to absorb excess oil and serve with hot tea or as an evening snack with ketchup or chutney.