Friday, June 10, 2011

Carrot Pudding

" I am so happy to be back in the blog world ,after quite a long hiatus. I should tell you that this blog was born out of exam frustration and tension - I needed something that would relax and divert my attention away ,even though momentarily from all the stress.
Anyways, I had no idea what I would name this dessert, so it may seem a little vague and boring , I know, I know people, I need to improve my skills at naming my dishes.
This one's my mama's recipe. Always been one of my favorites,and for me a lifesaver. It is really easy to make and you can make ahead and refrigerate this. The orangey color , mousse like texture and the sublime melt-in your mouth taste.... make this a winner in my books.
I am so glad I found fresh carrots , I love carrot leaves - I add them to soups  and fried rice and they smell and taste like carrots.

I need to increase my repertoire of carrot sweet dishes - all that I know are gajar ka halwa, carrot cake and this one. And all three I love !!!

carrot dessert




Ingredients: 

  • 1 pound carrots 
  • 3/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1- 1.5 cup sugar 
  • 5 cloves
  • 6 cardamom pods 


Method:
  • Wash the carrots and peel the outer skin , chop them into medium sized cubes or rounds. 

  • Put this in a pressure cooker. Add the cashews. Add 3/4 cup milk and cook it in a pressure cooker. You may also use a microwave to cook this. Adjust the quantity of milk. 
  • Wait for the mixture to cool down. 
  • Put it into a blender and add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Blend it until it has a soft consistency like a mousse. 
  • I like to use the whip function in my blender to put some air into the mixture and add volume. 
  • If at this point, if you feel like, you can add more milk or not, to make it as thick or thin you want. 
  • Remove the mixture from the blender,pour it into a bowl. Crush the cloves and remove the outer layer of the cardamom and put this in a mortar and pestle and crush into a powder. Add this to the carrot mixture. 
mortar and pestle

  • Add sugar and blend well. 
  • Refrigerate until cold and serve.
carrot dessert

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea how it tastes but this dish looks so delicious! Just beautiful sitting there calling me, "hey you, bring a spoon!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maureen This gets over so soon ... and i cant resist it either . Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any dish with carrot is delicious... !! I have been thinking that Carrot Halwa is the easy one... But this looks more simple...and quick...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Emreen Thanks for stopping by . Yeah, I am usually wary while making desserts bcos of he time it takes to make them. But this one is easy.

    ReplyDelete