" I am so happy to be back in the blog world ,after quite a long hiatus. I should tell you that this blog was born out of exam frustration and tension - I needed something that would relax and divert my attention away ,even though momentarily from all the stress.
Anyways, I had no idea what I would name this dessert, so it may seem a little vague and boring , I know, I know people, I need to improve my skills at naming my dishes.
This one's my mama's recipe. Always been one of my favorites,and for me a lifesaver. It is really easy to make and you can make ahead and refrigerate this. The orangey color , mousse like texture and the sublime melt-in your mouth taste.... make this a winner in my books.
I am so glad I found fresh carrots , I love carrot leaves - I add them to soups and fried rice and they smell and taste like carrots.
I need to increase my repertoire of carrot sweet dishes - all that I know are gajar ka halwa, carrot cake and this one. And all three I love !!!
- 1 pound carrots
- 3/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
- 1 cup milk
- 1- 1.5 cup sugar
- 5 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- Wash the carrots and peel the outer skin , chop them into medium sized cubes or rounds.
- Put this in a pressure cooker. Add the cashews. Add 3/4 cup milk and cook it in a pressure cooker. You may also use a microwave to cook this. Adjust the quantity of milk.
- Wait for the mixture to cool down.
- Put it into a blender and add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Blend it until it has a soft consistency like a mousse.
- I like to use the whip function in my blender to put some air into the mixture and add volume.
- If at this point, if you feel like, you can add more milk or not, to make it as thick or thin you want.
- Remove the mixture from the blender,pour it into a bowl. Crush the cloves and remove the outer layer of the cardamom and put this in a mortar and pestle and crush into a powder. Add this to the carrot mixture.
- Add sugar and blend well.
- Refrigerate until cold and serve.